Tuesday, February 12, 2019
2:00 p.m. ET / 11:00 a.m. PT
Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) describes the situation when the Medicare program does not have primary payment responsibility for paying a claim. Employers with group health plans are greatly impacted by the MSP rules depending on their size. This webinar will help employers understand their responsibilities under the MSP provisions and best practices when completing the CMS Data Match report.
This webinar will:
- Review the basics of Medicare Secondary Payer
- Provide information on the penalties for violating MSP rules or for failing to complete the CMS Data Match questionnaire
- Discuss the requirements under MSP for employers with fewer than 20 and with 20 or more employees, including how to count employees and determine employer size
- Discuss who is primary or secondary payer in common situations when Medicare and other health insurance or coverage may be present
- Describe how to identify those individuals to whom the MSP requirement applies
- Discuss the choices an employee is free to make when deciding between Medicare and a group health plan
- Describe the prohibition against incentivizing employees to take Medicare over the group health plan
- Discuss the limited circumstances in which certain employers can reimburse Medicare supplements for employees
- Describe the interaction between Medicare entitlement and HSA eligibility when an employee continues to work beyond age 65
- Discuss best practices to ensure that a plan does not discriminate against employees and employees’ spouses age 65 or over, people who have permanent kidney failure, and disabled Medicare beneficiaries for whom Medicare is secondary payer
- Discuss best practices regarding information needed to accurately complete and timely submit Data Match reports on identified employees
This 60-minute intermediate level webinar will help employers understand Medicare Secondary Payer rules and CMS Data Match reporting. The presentation will be posted on the UBA website the day before the webinar.
Register for this webinar today while seating is still available. If you are a Bim Group client and missed the client specific invitation, please email email@example.com with the CLIENT NAME in the subject line to have the preferred employer code emailed to you.
Melissa Shimizu is an associate in Fisher Phillips’ Irvine, California, office. She focuses on helping employers navigate the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and other state and federal laws impacting the design, implementation and ongoing compliance of their employee benefit plans and programs. She advises clients with respect to all aspects of employee benefits, including retirement plans, health and other welfare benefit plans.
This series is brought to you by your Partner Firm of United Benefit Advisors — the nation’s leading independent employee benefits advisory organization with more than 200 Partner offices in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.