Tuesday, October 13, 2020
2:00 p.m. ET / 11:00 a.m. PT
Join us this month for an overview of the Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) and when employers will be entitled to an MLR rebate. We will discuss employer obligations regarding MLR rebate funds or other insurance refunds and the options that are available to employers when keeping a portion of the rebate and distributing a portion of the rebate to plan participants.
This webinar will:
- Describe what the MLR is and when employers are entitled to a rebate
- Discuss how the rebate is determined when an employer has employees in several states
- Describe how employers can divide the rebate between the employer and employees
- Describe how an employer can determine the percentage of the rebate it can keep, including when an employer contributes different amounts for different groups of employees
- Describe whether former plan participants and COBRA participants are entitled to share in the rebate
- Describe when an employer can keep the entire rebate
- Discuss how an employer may use its share of the rebate for ERISA plans and non-ERISA plans
- Discuss how an employer may distribute the plan participant portion of the rebate and when such distribution should be made for ERISA plans and non-ERISA plans and the tax treatment of the various methods of distribution
- Discuss how an employer handles receiving a rebate for one insurance policy when it has multiple policies
- Discuss an employer’s use and distribution of an insurer refund that is not an MLR rebate (for example, due to lack of utilization due to COVID-19)
- Discuss what an employer should include in its plan documents regarding MLR rebates and other insurer refunds
This 60-minute intermediate level webinar will help employers understand their obligations when they are provided an MLR rebate or other insurer refunds and the different ways in which the funds can be used.
Register today while seating is still available.
NOTE: If you would like to view the webinar but are not able to attend, we encourage you to still register as you normally would. All registrants will receive a replay and copy of the presentation afterwards.
If you are a Bim Group client and missed the client-specific invitation, please email email@example.com with the CLIENT NAME in the subject line to have the preferred employer code emailed to you.
Lorie Maring is a partner in the Atlanta office and a member of the Employee Benefits Practice Group. She has extensive experience in all areas of employee benefits, including health and welfare programs, qualified and non-qualified retirement plans and executive compensation. She routinely advises employers, including non-profit and government employers, trade associations and employee benefit insurance and risk management consultants on the complex compliance and day-to-day issues arising under ERISA and other state and federal laws governing employee benefit plans and programs. Lorie also advises employers on compliance issues involving the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Affordable Care Act (ACA), employment tax, the employee benefits and executive compensation aspects of mergers and acquisitions, and handling IRS and DOL audits and ACA penalty assessments.
This series is brought to you by your Partner Firm of United Benefit Advisors — the nation’s leading independent employee benefits advisory organization with more than 200 Partner offices in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.